Is the 'libreoffice' list name confusing?

Robinson Tryon bishop.robinson at gmail.com
Fri Dec 6 01:28:58 PST 2013

On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 3:52 AM, Miklos Vajna <vmiklos at collabora.co.uk> wrote:
> There is a mix of using just the project name or the -devel suffix for
> the developer list (without suffix: libreoffice, PackageKit, etc; with
> suffix: gstreamer, systemd, etc).

Sure -- it would be helpful to see what other projects use before we
actually decide to rename :-)

> Before proposing a renaming I would first check if it's possible to do
> so without having to re-subscribe everybody, loosing archives and other
> drawbacks. And even then, there will be still this mix for freedesktop
> projects. :-)

What I think we want:
- To have only devel traffic on the devel list
- (With minimal effort on our part) To get our users/volunteers to the
right list to answer their questions

If a small linguistic change in our list name can head-off a large
percentage of the messages that are posted to the wrong list, then it
might be worth it. Anyone have anecdotal evidence one way or the other
here?

Best,
--R

(*light goes on* -- I could just ask all of the people who post
questions/bug reports, etc.. to the dev list why they chose to use
this particular list. Perhaps there's some oddball reason like "I
found it listed on website XYZ")