EasyHack

Norbert Thiebaud nthiebaud at gmail.com
Wed Dec 11 10:46:34 PST 2013

On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 11:35 AM, Amul Mehta <mht.amul at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Norbert,

First please keep thing on the list as much as possible...

> Started to explore the source code with the help of documentation. And since
> there where many modules , started randomly.
> after spending some time on the module there was a very less i could really
> understand.

No surprising. this is a big code base with a lot of history, hence oddities..

> would you recommend how to begin and which module to begin with ??..
I recommend to be task oriented rather than module oriented..
iow find a task to do... and then try to do it, regardless of which
module is impacted... overtime you'll get aquainted with the
differents modules (well at leaast some of them).. and how they relate
to each other.. otoh one of the message of this thread pointed you to
a nice graphic of the big-picture dependency of these 'modules'

> The next thing i tried was to build the project and was a little more
> successful here (After a dozen of unsuccessful ones !!).
Good.. getting comfortable with the build is a prerequisite to make
any progress at all :-)
Getting aquainted with git and gerrit is a prerequisite to be able to
upstream any patches :-)

> I also took a glance at the 'easy hacks' , did not really understand what
> the bug is and how to proceed further..

Well, take a look at
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/Easy_Hacks/lists/by_Required_Skill
browse the bug reference there and find one that you think is
interesting and that you can do...

There is nothing wrong to start with simple cosmetic tasks to get used
to the overall process...

Norbert