Request to modify Commit #7142 about CSV import

Eike Rathke-2 erack at redhat.com
Thu Dec 19 10:43:57 PST 2013

Hi Laurent,

On Thursday, 2013-12-19 10:03:07 -0800, Laurent BP [via Document Foundation Mail Archive] wrote:

> I tested commit #7142
> https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/#/c/7142/
> which change behavior of import dialog box of text files in Calc for .CSV
> and .TSV files.
> This modification imposes comma as separator for CSV file. You can uncheck
> this option, but when you open a new CSV file, comma is always checked:
> choices about this option in your preferences is no more considered.

After all, the file format is called Comma-Separated Values ... ;-)

> This is a problem for all locales which uses comma as decimal separator. In
> this cases, even if ".CSV" files are used, the comma cannot be used as
> column separator.

Not true. The comma can still be used as separator, just the field
values need to be enquoted if they contain a comma. Which we do.

> Could you consider as removing this part?

I understand the request however, and will consider :-)

> However, this option may be interesting for TSV file.

Yup.

  Eike

GPG key ID: 0x65632D3A - 2265 D7F3 A7B0 95CC 3918  630B 6A6C D5B7 6563 2D3A
Support the FSFE, care about Free Software! https://fsfe.org/support/?erack

attachment0 (853 bytes) <http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/attachment/4089040/0/attachment0>