Libreoffice and kde integration

bjoern bjoern.michaelsen at canonical.com
Tue Dec 24 04:08:59 PST 2013

On Tue, Dec 24, 2013 at 11:33:24AM +0000, Michael Meeks wrote:
> 	I'm not that clear on what you suggest. I assume you are not suggesting
> doubling the number of Linux packages to 4x per architecture: .deb
> + .rpm (old) and .deb + .rpm (new) - and then more fooling in the
> downloader etc. ? (that doesn't sound sensible for a minority platform -
> with x86_64 -> 8x package archives.

No, I dont want to suggest to get even more packages. Rather to build the core
(non-kde/gtk-stuff) of LibreOffice on the 'old' baseline, and then have a
chroot on that same machine with a newer baseline, and build just the kde/gtk
parts against that baseline and the already partial build tree we have from the
build on the old baseline. So you would end up with one set of .rpm/.debs,
where the core of it runs anywhere, while the gtk/kde bits require something
halfway recent.

But in the end its probably not worth it at all, if we just make sure distros
can be very quick with their packages, so that upstream binaries are just used
as a 'proof it build'. ;)

Best,

Bjoern