Java situation

julien2412 serval2412 at yahoo.fr
Tue Feb 5 05:04:02 PST 2013

Hello,

Reading about fdo#60210 and some others, I wonder what's the Java status.
I mean there have been issues with Java 1.7 and a lot of them have been
fixed, with different origin (Sunjre, OpenJdk, gcj), 32 or 64bits,
accessibility JAB (Java Access Bridge) (other issues ?)
I know that Base uses a lot Java because of hsqldb (I know it'll finally be
replaced by other DB, fireSql?) and wizards (thank you Xisco for migrating
some wizards towards Python) but other parts use it, see
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/Java

I also leafed through
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Faq/General/a11y/Java but it's almost
only for JAB problems + upgrade problem JRE 1.6 to JRE 1.7 (for this one, I
saw some fixes about it on cgit, I don't know if it's still relevant)

So to help QA triage/advising, it could be interesting to know the current
situation:
- Must we still advise to install jre 6 when there are problems with jre7?
- is jre 64 bits ok in different envs or should we advise for the test to
remove jre 64 bits and try jre32? (because LO is 32 bits only for the
moment)
- on Linux, what should we suggest : sunjre, OpenJdk and gcj? Is it the same
(except license consideration)
- is there a list somewhere of components which use Java?
- is there a kind of migration planning or just priorities?

Julien