[libreoffice-users] Development of Extensions for LibreOffice

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at suse.com
Thu Feb 7 04:07:25 PST 2013

Hi Stephen,

On Wed, 2013-02-06 at 07:11 +1100, Stephen Morris wrote:
> On 02/06/2013 04:56 AM, Michael Meeks wrote:
> > 	Adding the features you need to the core, so everyone can enjoy them
> > out of the box is almost certainly the best way to achieve your goals -
> > and (after all) C++ is not so distantly related to Java :-)
>
>      I have already downloaded to source code and had considered
> modifying the code directly, but thought and extension might be easier
> and simpler, but if writing an extension means that it won't be
> guaranteed of making the product then modifying the code is the better
> way to go.

	Right ! in my experience it's almost always -much- simpler to edit the
core code directly :-)

>  I haven't looked at C++ in a long time but it shouldn't be
> that difficult to pick up again, and it should be easy to get the code
> suite into my Eclipse development environment once I update it for C++.

	Sounds great.

> I'm also running out of time for relating Calc's compatibility to Excel
> 2002 as in April/May the organisation I work for is upgrading to 2010,
> so I may just have to develop for compatibilty with that.

	:-)

>  I have 2010 installed on this machine at home, but it is running
> under Windows and I'll be doing my development work under Linux, and
> last time I looked Office 2010 doesn't run under Wine nor CrossOver Office.

	So - often transferring files to/from a virtual-machine works; I use
Office 2007 under Codeweavers Wine just fine (well a few rendering
glitches from time to time but good for quick interop. testing).

	Out of interest do you have a bug or two you want to hack on there ?
the Pivot table code is in:

	sc/source/core/data/dp*.cxx (last I looked)

	and the UI pieces in places like:

	sc/source/ui/dbgui/dpgroupdlg.cxx

	Better than that - we have unit tests for this stuff which live in:

	sc/qa/unit/ucalc.cxx /testPivotTable/

	and other bits there. I'd recommend getting some sample documents setup
that expose the new core features you want - and play with the master
branch there. Of course this is best discussed on the developers list
(no subscription required) which I've CC'd.

	HTH,

		Michael.