A little info about ligatures and e.g. Calibri

Stephan Bergmann sbergman at redhat.com
Thu Feb 7 05:22:13 PST 2013

On 02/05/2013 11:36 AM, Caolán McNamara wrote:
> On Sun, 2013-02-03 at 18:26 +0200, Khaled Hosny wrote:
>> GTK have been enabling ligatures and other default OpenType features
>> since ages (since before I started using computers :p), so probably the
>> situation is not that bad.
>
> oh, I forgot, we also don't have proper cursor positions for ligatures
> either!, that's another epic lack.

And do we have decent support to let the user specify where not to use
ligatures in the input?  Or do users need to insert explicit U+200C ZWNJ
with their input method of choice?

(At least for German, where ligatures need to be broken quite
frequently, I generally don't understand the enthusiasm for
ligature-enabled fonts anyway, as in the hands of incompetent typists
they lead to more harm than good.  What could probably help is to have
automated rules that tell the computer where to break ligatures, similar
to hyphenation rules.)

Stephan