[Libreoffice-qa] minutes of ESC call ...

Norbert Thiebaud nthiebaud at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 12:30:33 PST 2013

On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 12:36 PM, Lubos Lunak <l.lunak at suse.cz> wrote:

>  That should be made more obvious in the wording then. I normally use -1/-2 as
> the reverse of +1/+2

Well, there are not symetrical:

first -2/+2 is only accessible to 'Committers'
for a Committer to say +1 means I'm ok with the patch but a/ I am not
confident enough with the area of the code to be sure it is a good
idea even thogh the code seems to be correct and or b/ I want to give
other committers more time to weight in...

-1 means, there are things 'wrong' with the commit, but that can be
addressed by working on the patch...
-2 means I oppose the 'idea' of the patch. no amount of tweaking can
address my concerns.. one could use a -2 on a technically perfectly
valid/correct patch that remove dbaccess from libreoffice for
instance. -2 is effectively a veto because it is a sticky state that
remain even if a new version of the patch is uploaded... so as long as
there is a -2 one cannot Submit the patch, short of hacking gerrit or
pushing the patch directly to master, by-passsing gerrit-review
altogether.

> and the current 'do not merge' is vague enough to mean
> anything in that direction. It should include 'I disagree with the change' or
> similar.

I guess the problem is the balance between 'clarity' and perceived
'abruptness'. The 'text' associated with the value has been tweaked in
favor of the later... but Committers should really use the values and
they 'abrupt' meaning to decide when to use them.

Norbert

PS: the rational behind the change of -2 from 'Do not Submit' to 'Do
not merge' was that 'Submit' can be confused by people upload patch to
gerrit as describing their action of uploading a patch for review, and
therefore can be read as saying : 'stop uploading patches'....
PPS: please do not shoot the messenger...