regarding patch 38838

Jean-Noël Rouvignac jn.rouvignac at gmail.com
Sat Feb 16 06:03:43 PST 2013

2013/2/16 Prashant Pandey <prashant3.yishu at gmail.com>

> Hi Jean-Noel,
>
> I am an undergrad student from India, new to the open source world, and
> trying contribute something good and productive to it.
>
> I am happy to see you actively work on Patch 38838 :) and am also working
> on the same patch since last few days and trying hard to get touch with it
> comfortably. However, things are not going in their best way.
>
> Can you help me with fixing the same bug and getting me more comfortable
> with it.
> What is the way to replace String with OUString. Is it anywhere I see
> them, I just need to replace them or there are other factors also I need to
> take them under consideration?
>
> I shall be grateful to you for being patient and helping/guiding me for
> the same :)
> Waiting for your earliest reply
>
> Thanks and Regards
> Prashant Pandey

Hi Prashant,

Welcome on board! The more people work on this bug the faster it will be
solved and it is a big one.
I suggets you take a look at this page:
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/String_Classes

It outlines how to replace String/UniString/XubString (the 2 latter are
#define's of String) with OUString.
You can also take a look at the doc for OUString (
http://api.libreoffice.org/docs/cpp/ref/classrtl_1_1_o_u_string.html ) and
OUStringBuffer (
http://api.libreoffice.org/docs/cpp/ref/classrtl_1_1_o_u_string_buffer.html).
Since OUString is immutable it is to be used when a String does not change
or not much, while OUStringBuffer is to be used to build an OUString.

I suggest you read these pages and take a look at previous commits on
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/log/ where you can do queries
to find the relevant commits.

Also I suggest you subscribe to the developer's mailing list and ask your
questions regarding this bug there.

Thanks and good luck!
Jean-Noël