Regression - LO Writer 4.0

r_ouellette ray.ouellette at sympatico.ca
Mon Feb 18 10:07:29 PST 2013

I'm using Writer since 2006 (it was then OpenOffice.org's version) for a
statistical document of 262 pages. You can see the result at
http://www.mels.gouv.qc.ca/sections/publications/index.asp?page=fiche&id=67
<http://www.mels.gouv.qc.ca/sections/publications/index.asp?page=fiche&id=67>
-- The document is in french only.

There are more than 150 tables, all created using Calc. Each table is copied
as GDI metafile in the Writer document. I intensively use styles in the
Writer document. The tables are copied in vectorial format because they can
be resized like I want in the writer document while preserving their
original appearance. There is also a triple font substitution to avoid
embedding ttf fonts in the pdf version (Arial > Helvetica; Courier New >
Courier; Times NewRoman > Times) and Type1 fonts are used.

Up to version 3.6.x, Writer was fast and usable with close to 270 pages.
Since 4.0, I think a redraw algorithm was introduced that slowed Writer,
making it almost unusable. I must wait a too long time for each page to
redraw when I move inside the document.

Anyone else noticed this behavior?

By the way, even Calc has this redraw problem when you use the paintbrush to
apply a format from a cell to another: try to group a few cells together,
then copy the grouped cells format to another cell and the newly applied
format is not refresh immediately.

Raymond