[ANNOUNCE] : Gerrit Patch Verification Buildbot

David Ostrovsky david.ostrovsky at gmx.de
Sun Feb 24 11:58:05 PST 2013

On 24.02.2013 13:48, Bjoern Michaelsen wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 03:39:34AM -0600, Norbert Thiebaud wrote:
>> On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 3:32 AM, Riccardo Magliocchetti
>> <riccardo.magliocchetti at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Cool! seen it in action and it's always nice to know you didn't break
>>> anything before pushing :) I'm wondering if you can save some cpu cycles by
>>> creating a blacklist of file patterns that does not trigger rebuild on some
>>> platforms, for example a patch i posted touched only configure.ac which
>>> probably don't need a windows rebuild.
>> It is _always_ the patch that can't possibly break the build that do....
> relevant: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XpnKHJAok8&feature=player_detailpage#t=1399s
>
> (Sorry for being late to the party, I missed this by vacation and travel)
well, actually you are not late, this is just the beginning ;-)

check these gerrit patches that were merged over the weekend:

* https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/#/c/2288/ convert odk to gbuild and add
to tail_build
   (14 patch sets, 21 builds), Files: 55 Lines: -1465/+982
* https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/#/c/2349/ convert moz to gbuild and add
to tail_build
   (10 patch sets, 15 builds), Files: 45 Lines: -8520/+159
* https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/#/c/2242/ instsetoo_native: convert to
gbuild
   (14 patch sets, 21 builds), Files: 17 Lines: -516/+167

Just to name some (combined) statistics here: we have seen 38 different
patch sets,
57 time these patch sets were built on three platforms (currently
supported by buildbot),
and number of peoples contributed to it (commented, uploaded new patch
sets, test build it).

But the most cool thing about it: once merged to master these commits
didn't break it ;-)

So with this show case the question is not "Why gerrit?" any more,
but "How can we make it even better?" and the answer is:

1. minimize false negative: improve quality of master
2. prevent false positive: include as much configuration options as possible
3. help us to put more hardware to be able to route each patch set
through buildbot
3.1 consider donate a tinderbox
3.2 consider to put your tinderbox, if you already have one, in dual
mode: master & gerrit
4. help us to improve the tool chain: tinderbox, gerrit buildbot plugin,
logerritbot and jenkins:
4.1 https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/tb#Help_Wanted
4.2
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/Gsoc/Ideas#Infrastructure