Document filters for Palm and PocketPC, xmerge module

Andras Timar timar74 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 03:54:19 PST 2013

Hi,

While reviewing Windows installer code, I stumbled upon Java filters for
mobile devices. Their registration was broken for a long time,
nevertheless nobody complained. These filters are for Palm and Pocket PC
office software, AportisDoc, PocketWord and PocketExcel. They are not
part of the default LibreOffice installation on Windows. I wonder, if
someone out there is using them.

Source lives in xmerge module. There I found many "useless" code.

* xmerge\source\activesync\ - ActiveSync 3.5 support, not built, a
pre-built DLL is delivered to solver and packaged. It is not registered.
Registration fails on Windows 7, The module "xmergesync.dll" was loaded
but the call to DllRegisterServer failed with error code 0x80070002.

* xmerge\source\htmlsoff\ - delivered to solver but not packaged

* xmerge\source\minicalc\ - filter for MiniCalc format (Palm), not
built, not packaged

* xmerge\source\regutil\ - not built, not delivered. I wonder why they
needed this at all, stock regsvr32.exe has the same functionality.

* xmerge\source\wordsmith\ - a filter for WordSmith format (whatever it
is), not built, not packaged

XMerge framework (see http://www.openoffice.org/xml/xmerge/) is not
entirely useless, a LaTeX ans XHTML export filter extension uses it
(http://writer2latex.sourceforge.net/).

Before I spend more time on fixing registration of these components
under Windows, I would like to know, if you see a future for this xmerge
platform and for existing filters in particular.

Thanks,
Andras