Wrong platform check for Xinerama support

Lionel Elie Mamane lionel at mamane.lu
Wed Jan 2 21:57:26 PST 2013

On Wed, Jan 02, 2013 at 01:50:33PM +0100, Francois Tigeot wrote:
> configure.in / configure.ac also contains some fishy platform checks in
> the Xinerama support check:

> elif test "$_os" = "Linux" -o "$_os" = "FreeBSD"; then
>     if test "$x_libraries" = "default_x_libraries"; then
>             XINERAMALIB=`$PKG_CONFIG --variable=libdir xinerama`

> I'm not too sure of why this line was added but Linux and FreeBSD are not
> the only operating systems which can use Xorg.

We should probably have a generic test for "traditional Unix-like
with X11", which is probably the intended meaning of many "Linux" or
"Linux or FreeBSD" tests. Also in reference to your previous thread
(graphite was reserved for Linux and Windows NT).

Something like this early in configure.ac:

if test "$_os" = "Linux" -o "$_os" = "FreeBSD" -o "$_os" = "MirBSD" -o "$_os" = "OpenBSD" #etc, etc;
   UNIX_X11=true || POSIX_OS=true
fi

and then test UNIX_X11 (or POSIX_OS). So when we add support for
yet-another of these Unix/POSIX/SuSvN variants, there is not that much
to change.

As gravy, this way, if someone for whatever reason ever wants to
compile e.g. for MacOS X using the X11 server (instead of native Aqua
/ Carbon / I lost track), they can set UNIX_X11 and have a good start
:)

--
Lionel