[libreoffice-dev] - architecture question about interproces,extension,addIn

Rai, Neeraj neeraj.rai at citi.com
Thu Jan 3 07:54:28 PST 2013

Hi ,

I need some advise on which libreoffice technology to use.
I need to update data from some of our processes to scalc. I would like to use sockets to transfer data.
Preference is for running my own code in scalc that can parse the data sent by my other processes. Speed is important to me.

Reading through the Developer's Guide, I came across the following : http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/DevGuide/AdvUNO/Advanced_UNO
        In addition to C++ being fast since it is compiled locally, it offers the fastest communication with OpenOffice.org because most of the essential parts of office have been developed in C++.
        This advantage becomes less important as you call into the office through the interprocess bridge, because every remote call means a constant loss of 1 to 2 ms.
        The fastest code to extend the office can be implemented as a C++ UNO component. It is appropriate for larger projects due to its strong type safety at compile time.

Based on above text, I looked at addIns but it doesn't seem like what I need.  I don't want to be restricted to a function call. I need a component running in scalc.
        http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/DevGuide/Spreadsheets/Spreadsheet_Add-Ins

Can someone please advise what is the "fastest code as a C++ UNO component " mean and where can I find more docs related to it.

Thanks
Neeraj