Doing massive source changes

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Fri Jan 4 06:12:45 PST 2013

 Hello,

 I have a patch that is 32M big and I rather wonder when to commit it.

 The patch specifically is string rtl:: prefix removal. These changes
regularly show up in gerrit patches for review, but I think we have somewhat
better EasyHacks for new developers than rather mindless search&replace, and
it's somewhat annoying to review such diffs as well. So instead I've done the
change over the entire codebase where possible.

 The problem is, the change is so extensive that it touches pretty much
everything ("9117 files changed, 92833 insertions(+), 95662 deletions(-)").
Given that we branched 4-0 a short time back, this will probably mean
backporting will often need adjusting. So the options I see:

- wait until before 4-1 branch-off (or do not do such a big change at all) -
this would mean there still would be these changes done in small bits by
other people (including the gerrit review overhead)

- push now, only to master - this would mean more likely conflicts when
backporting changes

- push now, including to 4-0 - I can successfully do a full build, including
make check, and I've avoided public API modules (sal, salhelper, cppu,
cppuhelper, odk - any others?), so this hopefully should be safe, but most of
the changes have been done using sed, so there may be something that I've
missed

 Does somebody have a preference? I consider the last one to be the best
option.

--
 Lubos Lunak
 l.lunak at suse.cz