[PUSHED 4.0] LATE FEATURE: Personas in LibreOffice

Jan Holesovsky kendy at suse.com
Wed Jan 9 05:21:19 PST 2013

Hi Astron,

Stefan Knorr (Astron) píše v St 09. 01. 2013 v 12:52 +0100:

> so, some of you know, I have soem reservations about this feature...

:-)

> be that as it may, I have a small number of comments still:

Thanks for that, very good points!

> * there are some spelling/grammar errors:
> ** the button for selecting the background image has the word "Backround" on it

Fixed now:

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?h=libreoffice-4-0&id=b020075fd33e0ad20571980d6e72bd86a05bcd2e

> ** the window for Select a persona has the sentence "Find persona you
> like" on it – lacks an "a" before "persona"
> ** also in that window: "Then copy the URL of page [...]" – lacking a
> "the" before "page"
>
> * I fear that enough people don't know what "URL" means, may I propose
> "web address" as a more accessible replacement?

Reworded, I hope better now:

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?h=libreoffice-4-0&id=c821a8ab11ff615737d98858a27ebf24803d7f61

> * What is the difference between "default persona" and "no persona"
> (currently, at least)? I would remove this option until we decide we
> want to ship a persona by default.

Reworded too:

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?h=libreoffice-4-0&id=9b9d4a9472228a647d61edc428d542fd20bcb034

The aim is to be able to install a Persona using an extension even if we
do not ship with a Persona by default; and while at that, provide the
user with the possibility to switch that off (originally 'no persona').
Is it better now?

> * Downloading personas appears to be synchronous, leading to visible
> UI lag and Windows adding "(doesn't respond)" to the titlebar of the
> LibO window with my (admittedly somewhat slow (1000 Mb/s)) connection
> speed – it would be much better to make this ascynchronous.

Actually - I am not sure why it is that slow; it shouldn't be.  Either
way, I'll try to do something about that & make it async.

I'd be able to do a progress bar too, though probably only with 3 steps
(nothing, having loaded the page, having loaded the header, having
loaded the footer).  Is that worth that?

> On 9 January 2013 09:54, Petr Mladek <pmladek at suse.cz> wrote:
> > Hmm, it does not show the saved url in the options dialog. Instead, it
> > shows URL template (http://www.getpersonas.com). I wonder if it is a
> > feature.
>
> I agree that it would be nice to see the name and URL of the current
> persona somewhere, though not necessarily in the Persona Selection
> dialogue itself. I guess the name could be on the preferences page,
> e.g. directly after the "use own persona" option. Not sure about where
> to put the URL...

Yes - I plan to do a preview in the lower part of the Personalization
dialog where you'd see (part of) the Persona bitmap.

Not sure if I manage to do the async loading + preview for 4.0,
though :-(  But showing the URL at least should be doable - is that
enough?

Thank you,
Kendy