FYI: Make for faster windows build

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Thu Jan 10 05:20:44 PST 2013

On Thursday 10 of January 2013, Michael Meeks wrote:
> On Wed, 2013-01-09 at 20:01 +0100, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> > Looks what I found under the tree! Faster make for Cygwin. Granted, I had
> > put it there first, but still nice.
>
> 	Nice work ! :-)
>
> 	I'd love to see a configure option: --with-custom-gnumake that does the
> git clone, pre-builds, and uses our own gnumake (with the speedups).

 If I'm not mistaken, we need our custom make on Windows anyway, since LO
build fails with the cygwin one for some reason (may or may not be our fault,
I don't know). Moreover, this is most probably not going to work anyway,
since it's the developer who runs the make, not the buildsystem (eventually,
after we get rid of dmake). And Makefile.top has shown that make forwarding
does not quite work as it should.

> Did you have any joy getting the fixes up-stream to gnumake ? ;-)

 I have not tried, the commands are rather LO-specific in some cases, so we
need a patch anyway. I also consider it to be a bit of an ugly hack.

--
 Lubos Lunak
 l.lunak at suse.cz