including Ubuntu fonts in Windows/OSX installers

Stefan Knorr (Astron) heinzlesspam at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 02:24:21 PST 2013

Hi Tor,

On 24 January 2013 10:27, Tor Lillqvist <tml at iki.fi> wrote:
> If the Ubuntu typeface is so unique as they say (i.e. instantly
> recognisable) (or even worse, subconsciously recognised), wouldn't
> using it in templates then be an endorsement of Ubuntu? Isn't
> LibreOffice supposed to be vendor-neutral?

As for its aesthetics, it is certainly somewhat unique, but not
unprecedented. E.g. the commercial font FF Dax [1] has quite a few
similarities.
Following Google including the Ubuntu font in its web font repository,
it has been used by others as well. E.g., it is widely used on the
Sourceforge website. (It is of course still called Ubuntu which you
could maybe see as an endorsement – which I think is one of the bigger
mistakes Canonical have made with the font. "Segoe UI" isn't called
"Microsoft," either. Same for "Lucida Grande"/Mac OS,
"Roboto"/Android, etc.)

Regards,
Astron.

[1] https://www.fontfont.com/fonts/dax/regular