Development Budget Request (was: Re: Funding Wishlist)

Thorsten Behrens thb at documentfoundation.org
Thu Jan 24 10:01:33 PST 2013

Request for Budget
==================

Rationale
---------

With the gerrit review infrastructure firmly in place, the next
logical evolution is to test-build (almost) every patch submitted -
thus providing developers, that cannot build on all platforms locally,
with the safety that their change does not break the build for
others.

Request
-------

Overall to leave room for growth, with the current build speed on
windows, Norbert estimates we'd need about 10 Windows hosts, to cope
with an average of 50 commits/day.

We looked into some offers, and it seems e.g. Hetzner's EX4 is
economical in terms of spec/price ratio

 http://www.hetzner.de/en/hosting/produkte_rootserver/ex4

, and goes for 49.00 € / month including VAT.

Virtualisation IMO does not make too much sense here, Windows builds
are already io-bound, and we want raw metal speeds.

Additionally, one extra EX4 would complement the existing Linux
buildbots, jointly that should then cover the anticipated load,
totalling 11 EX4 machines.

For Mac, Norbert sponsors his own one, but we would need a second
machine to cover the load. Proposal is to buy a Mac Mini for that (I
am not aware of any rental offers there), that would then be either
hosted in Munich (Florian has an offer there), or at my place.

The requested specs are:

Mac Mini, 2,3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, DDR3 SDRAM 8 GB / 1600 MHz
– 2x 4 GB, 256 GB Solid-State-Drive for 1.229,00 € incl. VAT (German
Apple store).

In total, the request would be, for 2013, a budget of

 ** 8.000,00 € **

for this setup (plan is to start with one EX4 and then ramp it up,
thus we don't incur the full cost in the first months).

Unless there are concerns or additions, I'd like to get board approval
for this along with the other budget items the teams have queued.

-- Thorsten