[Libreoffice-ux-advise] including Ubuntu fonts in Windows/OSX installers

Adolfo Jayme Barrientos fitoschido at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 16:42:24 PST 2013

On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 5:41 PM, Norbert Thiebaud <nthiebaud at gmail.com> wrote:
> If the name was so inconsequential, why did the author choose a
> license that forbid _changing_ the name ?
>
> It is one thing to get distros to cooperate together one large project
> like libreoffice, it is quite another to purposefully try to piss-off
> their respective Marketing Dept.
>
> Norbert (who is not working for any distro, but can imagine why they
> would find that irritating)

IMHO it is really wrong to imply we’re trying to do free advertising
by suggesting the addition of the Ubuntu font to LibreOffice. That’s
not the intent, and great typography shouldn’t go to the trash basket
just because some don’t like the name. It is my desire that Windows
users of LibreOffice —those who don’t know a bit about Linux
distros—get another set of great fonts for their use and pleasure.
(See also: http://pad.lv/703990 “Can the Ubuntu font license avoid
advertising-style clause?”)

--
Adolfo