deps etc.

Michael Stahl mstahl at redhat.com
Thu Jan 31 04:49:35 PST 2013

On 31/01/13 08:01, Michael Meeks wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> 	I was digging for the latest information on the size cost of our
> dependencies, and was interested to see things like:
>
> 	workdir/unxlngi6.pro/Dep/LinkTarget/Library/libfwklo.so.d
>
> 	contain only lots of:
>
> /data/opt/libreoffice/master/workdir/unxlngi6.pro/CxxObject/framework/source/accelerators/globalacceleratorconfiguration.o :$(gb_Helper_PHONY)
> /data/opt/libreoffice/master/workdir/unxlngi6.pro/CxxObject/framework/source/accelerators/keymapping.o :$(gb_Helper_PHONY)

the reason why you are seeing this is that you're a naughty person and
not running "make check", where the second make invocation would rebuild
the LinkTarget .d files.

> 	It seems some clever person deferred the dependency generation until an
> incremental build is done (?) :-) I assume that accelerates the
> straight-through build too (?).

actually it makes a full build from scratch slower, expecially on
Windows writing thousands of .d files takes several minutes.

the advantage is that you can do a partial build; with the old way of
doing things every object file in every module was built to include the
.d file even when you only want something like "make comphelper.all".