deps etc.

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Thu Jan 31 07:06:21 PST 2013

On Thursday 31 of January 2013, Michael Stahl wrote:
> i haven't measured it but i guess the majority of the problem is first
> writing the Object .d files,

 I have. Replacing concat-deps calls with mkdir+touch (for which there is a
builtin) cuts the [build DEP] phase in tail_build to almost a half. But even
as it is, the time spent that way is insignificant compared to the whole of
the build.

> of which there are a lot more than
> LinkTarget .d files.  which should make it easier because iirc object .d
> files are just "echo foo: .PHONY > foo.d" while concat-deps has a bit of
> LO-specific logic (rewriting external headers to .done files, which is
> necessary for correctness of incremental builds) that doesn't make sense
> as a make builtin.

 Although concat-deps is not a trivial code, it's not that complicated either,
and the builtins are already LO-specific code anyway.

--
 Lubos Lunak
 l.lunak at suse.cz