scp2 - modules (and fdo#60924)

Michael Stahl mstahl at redhat.com
Wed Jul 3 10:19:01 PDT 2013

On 03/07/13 18:09, Petr Mladek wrote:
> I am not sure what is the scope of your installer rework but I have
> several dreams :-)
>

> 1. It would be great to reduce the number of Linux packages:
>
>         + get rid of libobasisX.Y-* package names; the layer structure
>           is not longer used, so all packages should use the
>           name libreofficeX.Y-*.
>
>         + merge all the core* subpackages packages into one package
>           called libreoffice; The names are confusing because
>           nobody knows what belongs to which coreX. I do not see
>           any real advantage of the split.

... but while doing that make sure that the upstream package names don't
collide with common distro package names.

> 3. Split only help to extra installer on Linux and MAC:
>
> 	+ by other words, it might be nice to package Linux and MAC the
>           same way like we do on Windows; It might improve the user
>           experience because users are not used to run another installer
>           just to get localized UI
>
> 	+ well, I am not 100% sure about this move. The fact is that
>           the Windows installer allows to "easily" select which
>           localization is installed. I am not sure how it works
>           in the MAC installer. It won't be easy on Linux if you
>           have all RPMs in a single directory.

meh... Mac does not actually _have_ an installer, you just drag an icon
in a .dmg and drop it somewhere...

... and anybody who is crazy enough to install upstream Linux packages
instead of what the distro ships is by definition a system administrator
and not an end user who needs to be coddled.

while we are dreaming aloud how about

  4.) the Windows installer should automatically download help-pack for
      the selected languages and install that