Thoughts on LibreOffice Math

Khaled Hosny khaledhosny at eglug.org
Thu Jul 4 17:25:58 PDT 2013

On Thu, Jul 04, 2013 at 12:17:17PM +0100, Michael Meeks wrote:

> 	There were a number of technology suggestions in the thread too: "just
> re-use GtkMathView" - that seem to bring significant licensing and
> dependency issues. In general, that seems deeply problematic to me.

GtkMathView developer have always been open to relicensing, he
relicensed it under LGPL when WebKit was considering it, so license
issues are the least of my worries.

What I liked about GtkMathView is that it has a fairly complete as a
MathML 2.0 support, and have a modular architecture to allow plugging it
into other applications with some support for interactive editing. The
main problem is the complex font setup as it predates OpenType math
support and had to revert to using TeX fonts. I have been working on
cleaning up the font support and adding an OpenType backed (that
eventually should be the only backed), if I ever succeed I'd like to
look into integrating it in LibreOffice.

Regards,
Khaled