Weekly report about character border

Zolnai Tamás zolnaitamas2000 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 7 12:08:54 PDT 2013

Hi all,

Notes of this third week.
It starts become clear how to solve painting of character border. I read
the code and see that painting of character background is solved by
SwTxtPaintInfo. I intend to implement character border in such way that the
background fills out all the place inside the border, so at least the
margin must be known by this SwTxtPaintInfo class. SwTxtPaintInfo gain its
informations from SwFont so that's one reason why add some border
attributes to SwFont.
On the other hand I read the documentation of text portions (
http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Writer/Text_Formatting) and found this
sentence:
"During formatting, the portions are set up and their width, height and
number of characters are determined considering the font generated for this
portion."
So the portion's width and height are also calculated from the font, so
it's clear enough that the SwFont will be the connection between setting
the border in character dialog and painting the border (by SwTxtPaintInfo).
I pushed the commit which build up this channel.

Questions which came up this week:
  - How does the frame class hierarchy look like (inheritance, base and
derived classes)?
  - Should we make a new type of frame and add it to the existent frame
hierarchy? A frame which is inside the paragraph frame. (No)
  - How will the properties of character border (set in character dialog)
travel to the place of painting? (SwFont)
  - How does text portions work? Where does the painting of text portions
located? (SwTxtPaintInfo)
  - How are the borders drawn? With which primitive and with which
parameters? (BorderLinePrimitive2D, start and end point, overlapping
numbers)

Best regards,
Tamás