Storing/extracting embedded db within .odb

Andrzej J. R. Hunt andrzej at ahunt.org
Tue Jul 9 03:25:58 PDT 2013

On Mon, 2013-07-08 at 15:19 +0100, Andrzej J. R. Hunt wrote:

> It might be possible to do all of this within the driver itself, and then write the complete fdb
> from external storage into the .odb as appropriate (transaction committed, etc.), all controlled
> by the driver, which seems most sensible to me. (The Storage object is accessible from the driver,
> the HSQLDB does so.)
>

> W.r.t. to the location of the extracted firebird db: would an appropriate naming scheme be to have
> e.g. ~foo.odb.fdb#  for a foo.odb (in the same directory) similarly to the lock files that are
> created? (This could also allow for better recovery should we end up with similar corruption
> as is apparently happening with HSQLDB if there is a complete separate db.)

On further thought this seems best and is what I'll try to implement -- for versioning information
and other db properties I'll use the same database/properties file which hsqldb based .odb files
use, and store the db itself as database/database.fdb (hsqldb seems to use multiple files all of
which are stored under database/. It shouldn't be too hard to have the same driver load an
external fdb file and configure this using the properties file (some users are requesting this) --
the main difficulty here would be having the gui to set this up, so initially I'll stick with a
completely internal file.

I assume we'd want to store any icu related information in the same properties file to be able to
detect whether we need to do any special stuff related to the indexes?

Cheers,

	Andrzej