build with code coverage

Kohei Yoshida kohei.yoshida at suse.de
Tue Jul 9 21:48:33 PDT 2013

On 07/09/2013 06:15 PM, bfo wrote:
> Michael Stahl-2 wrote
>> [...] but likely few developers have the time to look at the result in
>> detail anyway (i
>> don't).
> Hi!
> Well, I think that this is not very known that such reports are generated,
> not mentioning the purpose of them. Unfortunately I see this as a reason
> that only few developers deliver new or fixed code with proper tests
> included.
> This should be a part of a code review process. QA guys would be happy...
> Anyway as TDF is getting more own Tinderbox build bot hardware maybe there
> is an idle timeframe (weekends?) when such important reports for overall
> quality of the code could be generated soon after branching.
If someone is willing to spend time to set this up, then I'm pretty sure
this will be a valuable piece of information.

I slightly disagree with your comment about it as a reason for us not
writing enough tests though.  There are so many reasons why a given bug
fix cannot be accompanied with a test, although ideally every bug fix
should come with one.  I myself try to write test for bugs I fix, but
still doing it 100% of the time is not possible at the moment.  And
that's less to do with not having code coverage information, but more to
do with the limitation of the test framework and the time investment it
requires, among other things.

That said, we do need to write more unit tests, and continue to improve
our test framework to enable more coverage.

Best,

Kohei

--
Kohei Yoshida, LibreOffice Calc hacker, SUSE.