tinderboxes please upgrade bison

Lionel Elie Mamane lionel at mamane.lu
Wed Jul 10 07:32:33 PDT 2013

On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 02:27:51PM +0300, Tor Lillqvist wrote:
> OS X 10.8 has Bison 2.3 (...) We shouldn't be requiring anything
> newer, (...) (Sure, we already have broken that promise a bit as we
> require automake and autoconf, but do we *really* need any newer
> features of Bison?)

No, no newer feature needed, nor even used as such.

I switched on a feature that is not new by any standard; I found it
documented in Bison 1.875 (I didn't check any earlier version) at
http://www.delorie.com/gnu/docs/bison/bison_toc.html

Apparently, the way it is implemented in Bison 2.3 interacts badly
with preprocessor tricks done in sqlbison.y, while it works well for
the implementation in Bison 2.4 and 2.5.

Maybe/possibly someone with a Bison 2.3 can see the whole sqlbison.cxx
/ sqlbison.hxx generated and find a way to make it work on Bison
2.3. Or, as Norbert suggests (or rather, as I choose to understand's
Norbert's message...), more developer resources are thrown at
sqlbison.y to make it not unnecessarily use that feature. Or we live
with the bugs.

--
Lionel