[Libreoffice-qa] Send Feedback...and BSA ideas

Robinson Tryon bishop.robinson at gmail.com
Mon Jul 15 09:18:07 PDT 2013

On Sat, Jul 13, 2013 at 9:09 AM, Bjoern Michaelsen
<bjoern.michaelsen at canonical.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 07:07:36PM -0700, Joel Madero wrote:
>> b) Robinson's main point about ask site is that they don't have the man
>> power to be QA's screeners - I think that summarizes his stance in the
>> nicest way possible :) Basically what we are doing is asking the Ask admins
>> to be QA screeners or for QA to get involved with Ask which - if we do
>> that, they might as well just report on FDO and QA can avoid getting used
>> to the dealings over in the Ask world.
>
> You might get some "accidental" confirmation by this though:
>
> - people will find dupes
> - people will post "happens to me too"s
> - people will upvote things that they can confirm

I'd like to keep as much of the bug lifecycle in FDO. The more that
happens on the Ask site, the more that gets lots and Isn't copied-over
to a bug report. I've had users on the Ask site continue to ask about
the progress of a Question that has a clear "bug has been filed here"
link. The same thing happens with people me-too'ing a Question/bug
instead of going to FDO and posting their comments there.

> I think a "move to fdo" should not happen for unconfirmed reports there, but
> only for those implicitly or explicitly confirmed by feedback from others.

That sounds like you're asking for bug repro to happen on the Ask
site. I really think that repro should happen only on FDO, or else
we're going to run into duplication, etc...

> Never having stuff go in directly via BSA would be bad too and it
> would block the migration of enduser to slowly turn into contributors. As such,
> it might be better to do it like this:
>
>  - LibreOffice made me sad!
>   - Was LibreOffice doing something unexpected or can we help you solving a
>     specific problem?
>     => askbot, unanswered question
>   - Was there a clearly reproducable wrong behaviour (bug) you would like to
>     report? (for advanced users, if unsure use the option above)
>     => BSA
>   - No, I have a different/generic complaint.
>     => these are tricky. Reply to email "Thanks for your feedback" and then
>     send to some private mailing list, for some poor sob to parse through?

So it sounds like some kind of differentiation page (ala Mozilla)
could be our biggest win here.

I'll try to mock-up an example of how this would look, and perhaps we
can test it out at https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/feedback/ for
a bit and see if there's a reduction in bug reports that aren't really
bugs.

--R