killing gb_Library_add_noexception_objects?

Bjoern Michaelsen bjoern.michaelsen at canonical.com
Mon Jul 15 10:40:28 PDT 2013

Hi,

a quick git grep suggests that we use gb_Library_add_noexception_objects only
once, thus I dont expect the original reason for keeping support for this
(possibly better performance and smaller binaries by skipping stack unwinding
logic) to be manifesting anymore for us.

As compiling some special-cased C++ objects without exception support, while
the majority supports exceptions might lead to confusing during debugging,
should we kill gb_Library_add_noexception_objects completely and only support
C++ with exceptions. Note that if there really is code that has huge wins from
not having exception handling, having those in plain old C is still possible.

So in the interest of the principle of least surprise, can we always have
exception handling for C++ code? Opinions?

Best,

Bjoern