Rationale for "Ported sfx2-remove-check-update-on-fileload.diff from ooo-build"?

Kohei Yoshida kohei.yoshida at suse.de
Thu Jul 25 08:32:40 PDT 2013

On 07/25/2013 11:24 AM, Stephan Bergmann wrote:
> Is there still hope in reconstructing the rationale for old
> <http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=718c0fe73251be083d032f0905880058128d4054>
> "Ported sfx2-remove-check-update-on-fileload.diff from ooo-build"?
>
> I'm asking because, trying to verify
> <http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=0d874ee2e452ea67c03a27bf1a7f26d0ffc617dc>
> "Fix configuration access path for "URL" group member," I noticed that
> uui::NewerVersionWarningDialog and
> css.task.FutureDocumentVersionProductUpdateRequest are dead since
> then, so if we are convinced that that was a good change, we could
> clean up now.

Well, I don't remember ever committing that, and I'm surprised that even
the committer name was me. Anyways, I can imagine it was done because,
at least for the Linux distributed version of OOo, it was not necessary
to check for new versions the way the vanilla version did, because each
distro's own package management system was supposed to take care of the
update need (and I believe this is still valid today).  Plus it was
hurting the start-up performance IIRC.

That's all I know about this.

Kohei

--
Kohei Yoshida, LibreOffice Calc hacker, SUSE.