xub_StrLen and UNO

Norbert Thiebaud nthiebaud at gmail.com
Tue Jul 30 07:14:54 PDT 2013

On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 1:55 AM, Stephan Bergmann <sbergman at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 07/29/2013 11:43 PM, Norbert Thiebaud wrote:
>>
>> so... I starting to hit the uno wall trying to convert String to
>> OUString...
>>
>> for instance: XTextComponent has a getMaxTextLen() api that return a
>> sal_Int16... that was already borked since the underlying data was
>> sal_uInt16... but going to sal_In32 would be a ABI break wouldn't it ?
>> so how are we to proceed with these cases ?
>

> OMG, who wrote such crap?

hard to tell, it has been using short in the idl since at least 2000-11-06

so... I will keep it functionally broken by downcasting to sal_In16
and keep the api getting and return short for now.
and mark if as "FIXME API" so that we turn that to sal_Int32 if/when
we choose to do a abi incompatible change

Clearly there are no current use where max text length is bigger than
32767... so keeping it a short for now would not break anything more
than it already is :-)
but one of the point of OUString is to left the 64K limit... so at
some point this need to be adjusted too....

Norbert