API change: sheet index from short to long

Bjoern Michaelsen bjoern.michaelsen at canonical.com
Tue Jul 30 09:45:33 PDT 2013

Hi Kohei,

On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 10:42:38AM -0400, Kohei Yoshida wrote:
> Norbert's thread reminded me of one thing we said we were going to
> do for 4.0,and turned out we haven't done it yet.
>
> That is to switch the type of sheet index from the current short to
> long, to support the increased number of sheets that we now support
> in Calc core.
>
> Ok. We missed the boat, clearly. But this is something we'll
> definitely have to do at some point. Any suggestion as to when we
> should do this?

A good point -- we didnt discuss when we want to do the next 'big API change
window' (even if that might be somewhat off). We should do that soonish, so we
can make qualified decisions on that(*). I fear otherwise we might drown
ourselves in bikesheds on case-by-case decisions.

I suggest to bring this on the ESC, but maybe next week -- its not superurgent,
everyone is hibernating from the release and those who are not are at GUADEC ;)

Best,

Bjoern

(*) e.g. is can a bugfix wait until then or does it have to be
done/workarounded _somehow_ now.