Please hold off modifying sc in the next few weeks

Bjoern Michaelsen bjoern.michaelsen at canonical.com
Fri Jun 14 08:14:20 PDT 2013

Hi Kohei,

On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 10:37:46AM -0400, Kohei Yoshida wrote:
> I'm not shutting down all development. If you know what you are
> doing and know that your change won't affect my ScColumn cell
> storage rework, feel free to push.

Its just that this is rather hard to judge for someone not too familiar with
the area of code, and "Please hold off modifying sc in the next few weeks" is a
rather generic and scary email subject. ;)

> I can't give any more concrete time frame than the next few weeks,
> since even *I* don't know exactly when it will finish.

As I said: How about saying "until the end of this month" and then announce you
need another week or so on demand. Having such a generic "hold of modifying sc"
mail out there easily creates urban myths a la "I heard we should not touch sc
and I havent seen a mail unblocking that" (even if there was one somewhere).
I dont want you to commit yourself to a timeframe, just keep us up to date
iteratively.

> >b/ make that work trackable and visible on a regularly pushed branch (maybe
> >    even regularly rebased), so it easier to see where possible conflicts arise
> I don't want to do that because this is a huge change that won't
> even compile. I've been working on this in the past 3 to 4 weeks
> without being able to build it.  And as I understand it some people
> (especially those who admin bibisect, tinderboxes etc) do want to
> make sure that each commit is at least buildable, if I'm not
> mistaken.

Yep, guessed so.

> But if you really want to see what's going on, track my change on
> feature/formula-core-rework
> at
> ssh://anarchy.freedesktop.org/~kohei/libreoffice/core

Great, thanks. But why not have that branch directly on the repo, where it is
much easier to track for everyone?

> Or, if none of these make sense, or you find this confusing or too
> restricting, then just ignore my request and go on with your lives.

No, it makes perfect sense and some of this pain is unavoidable -- its just
that the more discoverable the stuff is the easier it is to avoid
misunderstandings.

Best,

Bjoern