Building LO 4.0.4.2 on illumos based OS

Michael Stahl mstahl at redhat.com
Thu Jun 27 05:04:21 PDT 2013

On 27/06/13 10:52, Gabriele Bulfon wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm working on our Sonicle XStreamOS distro based on illumos kernel.
>
> I encountered some problems building LO 4.0..4.2.

i'd suggest to try building libreoffice-4-1 branch or master instead,
because it should be easier: in the libreoffice-4-0 branch the migration
to the new GNU make based build system was still in progress, so you
have to get both the new and the old build system to work for you,
whereas in libreoffice-4-1 and master there is only one build system.

> [build LNK] Executable/cppumaker
> /usr/gnu/bin/ld: warning: libstore.so, needed by
> /sources/userlands/xstream-userland-gate/components/libreoffice/libreoffice-4.0.4.2/solver/unxsogi.pro/lib/libreg.so,
> not found (try using -rpath or -rpath-link)
>
> I can't see why libreg.so can't resolve libstore.so, as they both live
> in solver/unxsogi.pro/lib :

the GNU linker apparently does not automatically use RPATH stored in the
.so for finding dependent libraries, and neither uses the -L passed to
it for finding dependent libraries.

it uses the -L parameters only to find libraries that are explicitly
listed on the command line (-lfoo); apparently you have -lreg but not
-lstore on the command line.

the solution is to use -rpath-link, which is used to find dependent
libraries that are not explicitly listed on the command line.

git grep finds this, which is commented out for reasons unknown to me:

solenv/gbuild/platform/solaris.mk:#JAD#'-Wl,-rpath-link,$(gb_Library_OUTDIRLOCATION)'

(iirc Sun ld would search -L directories in this case too so doesn't
need -rpath-link.)

> and ldd shows correct resolutions:

ldd uses the RPATH $ORIGIN in the .so hence it has no problems.

i am not sure if it would be better to use Sun ld or GNU ld on
OpenSolaris; i guess GNU ld has the advantage that it's the same as on
GNU/Linux so should make porting easier.

by the way here's some links to threads from previous porting efforts

http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.documentfoundation.libreoffice.devel/22798
<http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.documentfoundation.libreoffice.devel/31363
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.documentfoundation.libreoffice.devel/39846