Thoughts on LibreOffice Math

Frédéric WANG fred.wang at free.fr
Sun Jun 30 13:12:42 PDT 2013

On 30/06/2013 20:53, Khaled Hosny wrote:
> I don't think that distinction is helpful, and I don't think there is
> much to gain by having two different rendering engines, it will just
> complicate things needlessly.
> GtkMathView already has some support for interactive editing, it is
> probably easier to use right from the start.
I was thinking about a short term perspective where GtkMathView could be
used for the rendering, printing etc where having a good quality is more
important. And the current engine could be kept for the editor until we
migrate to another solution, assuming people could tolerate the low
quality in this situation (they already do). I don't think it would be
too difficult to connect the existing components to enable GtkMathView
but I suspect implementing a new editor would take more time. But in the
long term, I agree that doing something entirely new based on a MathML
representation and on GtkMathView would be best.

--
Frédéric Wang
maths-informatique-jeux.com/blog/frederic