About scan coverity fixes for 4.0 branch

Markus Mohrhard markus.mohrhard at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 1 23:15:39 PST 2013

Hey Julien,

> Scan coverity allows to fix a lot of bugs but all of them are on Master
> sources only. Just being curious, is a "big cherry-pick" planned to bring
> these on 4.0 branch (since most of them contain "coverity" in commit
> message, they can be detected easily )?

There is surely no "big cherry-pick" without careful review planned.
At least some of the more complex fixes might have some side-effects
(most likely they are safe but release branch requires extra review).
And most of the bugs like the memory leaks are maybe nice to have but
I'm not sure if it is worth the additional work (keep in mind that the
release branch requires careful review) and possible noise in our
stable branch.

That said I have no objections against picking important fixes to the
release branch. So if you see something that you think is really
important and you are also confident that it is safe and worth the
extra work you can propose it for review in gerrit. For all the other
fixes I would just leave them in master as most of the issues that
have been fixed have been there for years and 4.1 is only a few months
ahead.

Thanks a lot for your great work with coverity and cppcheck.

Regards,
Markus