archive / install slowness ...

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at suse.com
Mon Mar 4 02:31:12 PST 2013

Hi guys,

	Norbert pointed out to me that one of the slowest pieces of our install
is the:

	'checking files with ARCHIVE flags' ...

	Phase in the make_installer.pl foo, which burns a ton of CPU time for
no aparently good reason.

	Last I looked it seemed that we were using the perl Zip functionality
to list files in a .zip and/or to un-compress it to /tmp for some
reason.

	I believe we use .zip files as an easy way to package up a chunk of
source code directory - say containing a template structure, into a
bundle; and then install it en-masse in a simple rule and (more to the
point) a single scp2 entry :-)

	With the new make infrastructure / changes to scp2 - it would be just
wonderful if we could stop: zipping that stuff during the build, and
then unzipping it to /tmp during some very slow phase of
make_installer.pl - and then copying it into the install-set; and simply
copy it straight in ;->

	Hopefully that no longer busts some conceptual flow ?

	ATB,

		Michael.