archive / install slowness ...

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at suse.com
Tue Mar 5 01:39:33 PST 2013

Hi Bjoern,

On Tue, 2013-03-05 at 00:22 +0100, Bjoern Michaelsen wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 04, 2013 at 11:26:00PM +0100, David Ostrovsky wrote:
> > Sure? I do want to see what those builds do ... because if they are doing boolshit,
> > let's change that ;-)
>
> No, I dont want to change it as it would mean becoming the maintainer
> for the ~90 external projects we have.

	The deliverable to the install of the vast majority of external
projects is not a .zip file in my experience - but a .so / .dll or two.

	find solver -name '*.zip' | nl

	shows 126 .zip files - some of them extensions, some real .zip files we
put in our install, and lots that are (apparently) some hack-around scp2
so that it's not necessary to list lots of individual files:

eg.	solver/unxlngi6.pro/bin/uiconfig.zip
or.	solver/unxlngi6.pro/pck/gallsystem.zip

	The pck/ directory has quite a few of them; and it does seem that
zipping, then un-zipping them at install is one of the more silly things
we do (given that it takes a big chunk of time from make_installer.pl
too).

	:-)

		Michael.