Fwd: LibreOffice text justification

Miklos Vajna vmiklos at suse.cz
Thu Mar 7 00:42:52 PST 2013

Hi Chris,

On Wed, Mar 06, 2013 at 11:07:27AM -0500, Kohei Yoshida <kohei.yoshida at gmail.com> wrote:
> I manage a wiki which is being used to produce the text for a book
> that is due to be published shortly. We can currently produce an ODT
> document that is about 95% print-ready, but there are a few
> typesetting features missing from LibreOffice which mean we will have
> to use something like InDesign to complete our work flow.
>
> One of these features relates to the justification of text. Word
> processors like Writer tend to produce lines with uneven line-to-line
> inter-word spacing as they do not generally consider reducing the
> spaces and/or micro-spacing the characters themselves. I thought it
> would be worth looking at the code-base of LibreOffice to see if it
> would be possible to add this functionality. This search lead me to
> your blog page at
> http://kohei.us/2010/01/21/distributed-text-justification/.
>
> It seems as if the code you modified when adding the 'Distributed
> Justification' mode would be very similar to what I think is needed.
> Could you please point me to the files / classes that were involved?
>
> Any pointers would be much appreciated! Thank you for your time.

Paragraphs in Writer are "adjusted" to left/right/center/etc, the
SvxAdjustItem class stores this info in the document model. However, I
think Writer already supports what you want.

Have you tried Format -> Paragraph -> Alignment -> Justified, then
setting Last line to Justified as well?

HTH,

Miklos