fdo#61135 New feature in Calc: Stepped Lines graphs - first part of code submitted

Eric Seynaeve eric at seynaeve.be
Thu Mar 7 23:02:34 PST 2013

Hello Markus,

thanks for your review.

On Wednesday 06 March 2013 17:00:56 Markus Mohrhard wrote:
> First we need to move the new values in CurveStyle.idl to the end and
> remove all the GNM_* values. Moving the values to the end ensures that
> the old values stay unchanged which causes as little trouble for
> extension developers using the API as possible.

OK. I wasn't aware that the last value there was not a sentinel but needed to
remain the same.

> The import for files written by gnumeric should map the values to the
> corresponding ODF values and during export we only want to export them
> as ODF and never into the gnumeric namespace. This also means to

OK. I thought that it would be nice for somebody that wrote the file with
Gnumeric not to silently convert it to something that might not be read back
the same in Gnumeric. That's why I added all these GNM_* values. But I can
understand your POV.

> remove all the references to the GNM_* values in the other source
> files. For that to correctly work we need to register the gnumeric
> namespace and map the elements in the chart namespace and the elements
> in the gnumeric namesapce to the same UNO attributes.

Could you explain this a bit more. Are we talking about the XML namespace or
the C++ namespace ? I see some references in the code related to Gnumeric and
a link with orcus.

> into the gnumeric namespace. Additionally we need to take care of the
> ODF version during export and make sure we only export it into ODF1.2
> extended. I think Thorsten was fine with exporting the elements into
> the chart namespace but only for ODF 1.2 extended.

First a general question. I found the option for selecting the ODF type. But
how does that work when somebody requires, e.g., strict ODF1.2 or lower
compliance. Is there a warning given when the file is written ? Do we hide the
option for stepped lines then ?

Secondly, can you point to an example where the above is done ? Then I can
implement something similar.

> Additionally it would be nice if you would provide at least one of
> your test documents from gnumeric and one of your test documents for
> normal ODF as MPL/LGPL licensed test documents that we can add to our
> test file repository. If you are interested it would also be nice if
> you could add a test case for it to our new chart2 import test at
> chart2/qa/extras/chart2import.cxx.

There is a Gnumeric file attached to the bugzilla. I hereby place it under
MPL/LGPL. Once I'm further, I will also add a similar file created fully in
LO.

I'll have a look at the test cases and what is done there.

> Thanks a lot for your great work. It is highly appreciated and feel
> free to ask for any help you need.

:-)

> For the UI part of the task it
> might make sense to first convert the relevant dialog to the new UI
> format and then add the new elements into it.

As indicated in the UI ML, I will use a seperate dialog. As for getting up to
speed with Glade, I was thinking about converting the existing dialog for the
spline option first. Then, I know better how to create a new one.

But first I'll amend the existing patch with the code changes you requested
above. Once those are accepted I'll tackle the UI.

> Regards,
> Markus

Thanks,

Eric