gnumake module deps ...

David Ostrovsky david.ostrovsky at gmx.de
Sat Mar 9 14:39:51 PST 2013

Hi Michael,

On 06.03.2013 11:40, Michael Meeks wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> On Wed, 2013-03-06 at 08:08 +0100, David Ostrovsky wrote:
>> (a) you named it module-deps, but it is library-deps for now.
> True of course; feel free to rename it to your taste :-) it sounds like
> the tool has a new maintainer in it's first day - which is great: I
> signed up only for a prototype :-)
You are a funny one
;-)
First you are starting that project on write only language and then
looking for a mantainer???
;-)

>>   Well may be we want library-deps too, but to be a module dep it
>> should induce module name from the library name.
done ;-)
Here i was really surprised how perfect our naming convention is:
only 11 libs couldn't be induced automagically:

warn: no module for lib found: [PresenterScreen,SunPresentationMinimizer,
desktopbe1,gcc3_uno,gconfbe1,localebe1,qstart_gtk,soffice_bin,
testtools_bridgetest,testtools_constructors,testtools_cppobj]

All other libs just worked.

> 	Sure - as you say, that's not too hard to do; we could collapse the
> existing graph quite nicely and quickly to get the deps out of it; and
> produce something even neater and more readable :-) Of course, adding
> more parameters and options to the script would be nice - the need to
> call it via the Makefile to get the environment setup is not that cool
> for extensibility I think.
done  ;-)
so we have now manual page with developer guide, just try

bin/module-deps.pl --man

and other usefull options:

     --help
     --verbose
     --version
     --from-file
     --to-file
     --output

>> (b) some subtle differencies to hand made dmake build module dependency
>> list:
> 	Ah - well, it's always nice to find bugs :-)

As Stephan pointed out we have "include only" dependencies that we
should take care of.
Anyway now we have something that start to make sense:

http://ostrovsky.org/libo/lo.png
http://ostrovsky.org/libo/lo.graphviz

As always, master has the latest...
Let me print it on say 2-3 meters and bring it to the next Hackfest/LO
Congress ;-)

David