Questions in building

Michael Stahl mstahl at redhat.com
Wed Mar 13 04:01:22 PDT 2013

On 13/03/13 07:13, Dehua Xu wrote:
> Hi  Michael,

hi Dehua,

please keep the mailing list in CC: because then other people who know
more about the specifics can give you answers too.

>        thank you for your help.
>        now i am using the master LO 4.1 , i am interested in "Using
> LibreOffice in a Web Browser".

do you mean remotely via HTML or client-side as a plugin?

for the experimental remote HTML backend you need a very new GTK+ 3 on
your system; i have never built this myself and i do not know if Fedora
17 or Ubuntu 12.10 is "new enough" for this.

the instructions on this page only mention OpenSUSE, does anybody know
about building it on other distros?

https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Using_LibreOffice_in_a_Web_Browser

>        but here is a project which needs  OOo3.3  on the latest linux
> system,So i am build the source code with GCC4.7 .
>        "i think anything older than "libreoffice-3-5" release branch
> cannot be built successfully with GCC 4.7 or newer. "  can you tell me
> more infomation?
>        i want to know why GCC 4.7 and newer is not possible for old OOo
> versions?

generally with C++ there is a tendency for implementations to become
more and more strict and to disallow some specific syntax or other that
is not actually allowed by the relevant standards.  so if you build a
branch with a compiler version that was not yet released at the time
when the branch was created, usually some code that only worked "by
accident" with older compilers breaks.

with GCC 4.7 in particular there was a problem of it mis-compiling a
crucial part of the UNO/C++ bridge in such a way that "soffice" did not
even start; of course older branches that pre-date GCC 4.7 do not have
the necessary work-arounds and fixes for this problem.

it would probably be easiest for you to build older branches in a VM
(virtual machine) with some older distribution that has an older GCC.

regards,
 michael