[Libreoffice-qa] Minutes - QA Call 03/08/2013

Terrence Enger tenger at iseries-guru.com
Thu Mar 14 15:31:57 PDT 2013

I am keeping the dev list in the recipients as I have just
volunteered our stars to give autographs.  Perhaps further
discussion should go to the QA list.

On Thu, 2013-03-14 at 11:32 -0700, Joel Madero wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 11:27 AM, Terrence Enger <tenger at iseries-guru.com>wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 2013-03-14 at 10:25 -0700, Joel Madero wrote:
> > > *Triage Contest
> > [snip]
> > >      +Ideas for prizes
> > >         -Hoodies, T-Shirts, Mug, laptop case
> >
> > How about a full-size printout of the dependency graph that we can now
> > produce from the reowrked make system?  For extra spiffiness, invite
> > experts to autograph their area of expertise..
> >
> This would be pretty sweet, wonder how big it'd have to be for it to be
> legible ;) Will add to possibilities

My idea started with a discussion [1] about Michael Meeks'
hack, and he is touting [0] David Ostrovsky's rework [3].

That last is 1667 by 1896 pixels, so I guess it could be
made legible on one sheet of paper, at least for very young
eyes.  It would be not a very attractive prize, though.  For
the first version, a much busier one, Eike Rathke suggested
1m by 4m foil, and David Ostrovsky suggested 2 or 3 metres
for the later version.

> You're not the only one ;) Are you willing to investigate this a little
> more, look at vendor options, price, etc...?

Eike Rathke suggested printing a final version for events
like FOSDEM, Hackfest, and so forth.  I might assume that
each meeting will want a new, up-to-date version.  So, if
you award the printout which was actually displayed, the
incremental cost would be packaging and a few times
shipping.  I say "a few times" to allow for autographs by
experts who were not actually in attendance.  If at the end
of all this, the printout no longer looks quite new, that is
part of its charm.

( Actually, I am imagining a battered steamer trunk
plastered with shipping labels, sitting on a dock, with a
luxury liner in the background.  That does not work so well
in the age of airmail.  Sigh.  )

As a left-pondian, my local costs are not particularly
relevant.  FWIW, google turns up print shops providing
smallish formats in quantity--which is not what we want--or
what I hope are much higher quality prints in larger format.
As an example of the latter, the University of Toronto
Physics Department, for external users, will print 121 cm by
152 cm on heavy coated paper for Cad$180 for material plus
$80.00 per hour for labour [4], if I have done my arithmetic
right.  I would hope that this is for full colour pictures;
for a computer-produced graph is seems like too much.  And
even that size is small for the wall at the back of a booth.

Terry.