I am Vincent, I am glad to join libreoffice gsoc

Cedric Bosdonnat cbosdonnat at suse.com
Tue Mar 19 01:35:19 PDT 2013

你好 Vincent,

Welcome in the LibreOffice hacking world! Note that you can use your
chinese name here: we are an international community ;) It would even
help us to know your chinese name for some important reasons:
  * How could we handle the credits properly for your contributions?
  * To list you on the wiki when you will have sent your license blanket
statement https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/Developers
  * To contact you in case we need it during GSoC.

In the same vein, we would much prefer you to use a more permanent email
address that this one. GSoC is about helping students to contribute
during the summer, but also after. Using this email address for commits
wouldn't be really wise.

On Mon, 2013-03-18 at 21:46 +0800, vincent wrote:
> I am Vincent, I am glad to join libreoffice. Following are some information about Me.
> 1. I am a student from Beijing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics, China, major at Computer
> science. this year is my third-year on university.
> 2. I am good at C++ programming, and I love open source.

Great! 听说这个大学很好的。More that your university, is there any other
open source projets you have contributed to, to show your love for Free
Software?

>  I would like to join libreoffice project on Google Summer of Code.
> I read some idea listed on
> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/Gsoc/Ideas.
> I am quite interested on the idea:
> Implement a "about:config" functionality

Nice choice!

> With this aim, I have took some steps:
> 1. Read the developer guide on
> http://www.libreoffice.org/developers-2/
> 2. I spent some time on reading the API of libreoffice, which will be a
> great help to dig into libreoffice code.
> 3.  Follow build guide, I will carry out to build LibreOffice
> myselves.

Getting the sources and building them is of course mandatory... but
reading the API is not useful now. The best things to do to start are:
  * Pick an EasyHack and complete it (note that this is required to be
selected for GSoC):
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/Easy_Hacks
  * Start hacking on the idea. For this one, you can start playing with
glade to create the dialog and integrate it in LibreOffice. Read
caolan's post on that:
http://blogs.linux.ie/caolan/2013/01/24/converting-libreoffice-dialogs-to-ui-format-100-conversions-milestone/
Of course starting to have a look at the code you want to hack on will
help you prepare a realistict application for GSoC.

> Are there more thing that I need to do before the application? This is
> my first time to join GSOC, so I am not quite sure about it. can
> someone give me some tips and help, many thanks!

The more you feel at ease hacking on LibreOffice before the application,
the best it is.

Best regards,
--
Cedric Bosdonnat