[RFC] add --pidfile switch to write libo pid to a file

Riccardo Magliocchetti riccardo.magliocchetti at gmail.com
Tue Mar 19 03:54:00 PDT 2013

Hi Michael,

Il 19/03/2013 11:35, Michael Meeks ha scritto:
> Hi Riccardo,
>
> On Tue, 2013-03-19 at 10:06 +0100, Riccardo Magliocchetti wrote:
>> soffice.bin is the one i see in netstat so it looked the right one to me,
>> but handling this from soffice would be lot more easier.
>
> 	Right - that is doing all the work. Of course after the 'soffice'
> wrapper shell-script completes, it execve's 'oosplash' on linux - so
> that binary should inherit that pid.
>
> 	I think we can speculate as to the benefits of launching
> pagein/oosplash in the headless case; it would be reasonably reasonable
> to tweak:
>
> # run soffice.bin directly when you want to get the backtrace
> if [ -n "$GDBTRACECHECK" ] ; then
>      exec $GDBTRACECHECK "$sd_prog/soffice.bin" "$@"
> fi
>
> 	To check for the headless parameter and avoid oosplash entirely in this
> case I think; that would in turn ensure that the pid of the process you
> forked would be the real pid of the beast doing all the hard work [ and
> of course locking up from time to time - though we'd like to find/fix
> those lockups too naturally ;-].
>
> 	Would that be a better solution ?

We tried that but got reverted in:
ad050e40f1eb05c49b116ec9d856142f8dc4f635

Discussion with Stephan here:
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/libreoffice/2012-September/038146.html

Not handling the special exit codes mentioned in
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/libreoffice/2012-September/038195.html
was the reason of the revert.

thanks,
riccardo