Minutes of ESC call

Michael Stahl mstahl at redhat.com
Fri Mar 22 10:41:17 PDT 2013

On 22/03/13 18:25, Stephan Bergmann wrote:
> On 03/21/2013 05:28 PM, Jan Holesovsky wrote:
>> * Kill include guards in .hxx, and use #pragma once instead
>>          + makes the headers nicer
>>          + the benchmark available on the net seems to suggest it speeds
>>            up MSVC
>>          + Lubos' test seems to suggest that there is ~no difference for
>>            gcc
>> 	+ consensus: let's just do it after 4.0.2 is out
>
> The only drawback I can find is that #pragma once is non-standard and
> therefore
> <http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-4.7.2/cpp/Alternatives-to-Wrapper-_0023ifndef.html#Alternatives-to-Wrapper-_0023ifndef>---arguably
> rightly so---recommends against its use.

hmm... does that really matter? what is the likelihood that anybody
wants to use something older than GCC 3.4 to build LO anyway?

after all we rely on the implementation providing two's complement
arithmetic as well in a lot of places which is not mandated by C++
standard... (not to mention small conveniences like shared libraries)

also the existing include guards are not a stellar example of standard
compliant code anyway, given that a lot of them define macros starting
with underscores, and thus trample over the part of the namespace
reserved for the implementation by the C++ standard...