need help with shell / configure

Michael Stahl mstahl at redhat.com
Mon Mar 25 05:59:03 PDT 2013

On 24/03/13 23:34, Stephan Bergmann wrote:
>> So, is it still useful or could we remove BASH check and OOO_SHELL as
>> well ?
>
> I'm not sure I understand your question.  The LO build system requires
> Bash in places, esp. as the shell used to execute makefile recipe lines.

gbuild should only require /bin/sh (which is faster unless it's a
symlink to bash).

> (That said, it looks like OOO_SHELL is actually unused since we got rid
> of the old dmake-based build system, and could be dropped.  The use of
> Bash in gbuild is enforced via "SHELL=/usr/bin/env bash" in Makefile.mk,
> which should arguably be replaced with "SHELL=@BASH@".)

this is overridden by solenv/gbuild/gbuild.mk:

ifdef gb_SHELL
SHELL := $(gb_SHELL)
else
SHELL := /bin/sh
endif

i don't know what needs the "SHELL=bash" in top-level makefile but
perhaps there's still some script somewhere... perhaps it would be less
confusing to add a "#!/bin/bash" to any script that needs it instead?