gerrit-buildbot master builds

Thorsten Behrens thb at documentfoundation.org
Mon Mar 25 17:15:36 PDT 2013

Norbert Thiebaud wrote:
> > That does not follow, if all that is needed is a ssh key on the
> > builder?
>
> no what is need is creating a special 'bot user' in gerrit in the
> right group, and associate a ssh key with that user...
> that is an admin task. (no cannot be done from the web... nor should
> it be desirable)

I see -  so the overhead is on TDF's side, not on the tinderbox
sponsor.

> Master-slave require the master to have control on the box... to
> access it remotely and decide what run and when on the slave...
> that is not a viable option for volunteer boxes.

It could be pull-based - really no difference to today conceptually,
with boxes pulling and building whatever comes from gerrit.

> > Part of the underlying reason is also the question of *what exactly*
> > is the canonical TDF build. Default configure, or release build, or
> > some temporally varying mix? Or as of today, whatever the tinderbox
> > sponsor deems valuable?
>
> Again TDF owned and operated box _can_ be setup that way... although
> I'd argue that the notion of a centralize scheduler is not a realistic
> way to address the problem you mentioned earlier: if a box misbeave,
> it is unlikely that a 'master scheduler' could diagnose what is wrong
> and fix it...

Sure - the admin on duty could simply stop scheduling builds on that
particular box. You can have all the benefits of the old system
(pull-based, decentralized, completely self-paced, intermittent
re-purposing/stopping of builds by the owner), with the benefits of a
central job distribution. I would even route error / log reporting
through the central scheduler.

Cheers,

-- Thorsten