Amazon Cloud

Florian Effenberger floeff at documentfoundation.org
Sat Mar 30 06:44:35 PDT 2013

Hello,

we have received a voucher for the Amazon Cloud, and after playing with
it for a while, I think it could be a good extension for our current
infrastructure.

I would not use it for extending our general infrastructure, as
synchronizing data between two datacenters with different frameworks can
be tedious, but for booking compute power when needed, I think it's a
good thing - in other words, using it as on-demand compile cluster.

Anyone has already experience with using the Amazon Cloud for compiling?
 From what I have heard, creating Windows builds would be not such a
good choice - not only is the Windows compute time more expensive than
the Linux one, but it seems that in addition, "real iron" seems to be
better.

However, for other buildbot/tinderbox tasks, is there anyone who already
has experience? Otherwise, I'll investigate a bit on my own and see how
we can make best use of it.

Florian